The Content Wrangler 2020 DITA Satisfaction Survey has arrived!
After collecting the thoughts of some valiant content experts, we’re here to make sense of what they had to say. Questions were asked, tears were shed (presumably), and answers were given. The 2020 DITA Satisfaction Survey has arrived – Download now!
DITA is long established within techcomm space. But, the ways in which we interact with and utilize that technology is constantly evolving. For that reason, surveys like these can be so drastically different from year to year. Still, buried in the data this survey are diamonds in the rough that need proper coaxing to the surface.
About the Respondents:
- This survey’s respondents work on technical documentation teams as technical writers, documentation managers, and information architects.
- Among these respondents, 94% reported that they adopted DITA to organize the content on their technical documentation teams.
About the Questions:
In this survey, respondents were asked to rate every aspect of their DITA usage. Respondents shared what benefits they see, the challenges they’ve experienced, the obstacles they anticipate, and what they see for the future.
We didn’t just want questions and answers, which is why this survey is packed with commentary from industry experts; survey statistics paired with context from real people and real use cases.
Ready to get your feet wet? You can download the full survey below and keep reading to see what three key takeaways we think call for deeper analysis.
Download the 2020 DITA Satisfaction Survey Report
3 Guiding Questions Not To Be Ignored
Content management, whether it’s DITA or not, cannot exist in a vacuum. We need to start by properly communicating what DITA does, how it works, and what makes it a tool worth investing in.
The DITA vacuum stifles open communication, resulting in teams frustrated with or confused by DITA, blaming their struggles on the tool itself.
This is often caused by technical documentation teams being isolated in corporate structures. It’s time to change that because these teams know DITA and recognize its value. We challenge them to translate DITA’s value beyond technical docs with the goal of successfully integrating it into the rest of their organization. Which is much easier said than done.
- Why is DITA a worthy investment? Convincing management to buy a technical solution they don’t understand is heavy work. It’s your job to make a strong case to adopt DITA. To state that case to, say, a C-Suite executive who might not know XML from the XFL is going to require persuasive, digestible, and data-driven arguments. We’re going to lay down some knowledge on how to approach those conversations.
- Why is communication the crux of successful DITA implementation? DITA enables access to centralized, authoritative content. This centralization can dramatically enhance communication and establish a structure that fosters better departmental communication. So, why don’t those benefits always materialize? Why doesn’t the left hand know what the right hand is doing, so to speak? How can we bridge learning and communication gaps between departments such that DITA implementation is smooth across the board?
- Why aren’t you doing more with your DITA solution? You’re satisfied with DITA. What now? I don’t have to tell you that DITA is an extremely useful, multifaceted content framework. The trouble is, it’s often implemented narrowly and left there. There’s nothing wrong with that, but if you have a tool that has diverse use cases, why only use it for one? Let’s dive into DITA beyond technical documentation and how to truly use it more holistically.
We’re glad you stopped by to stay up to date with the latest DITA details. There’s a lot to absorb, but we’re here with you every step of the way. Pop into any of those three takeaways to get a deeper look into what we’re talking about. They’re good side-by-side reading materials to supplement the survey.